Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Academic Snobbery

I guess it's something I should expect.  Going to the Divinity School of a major research university, one would expect to encounter academic snobbery.  After all, we have top notch professors who are THE go to authors for Biblical and Religious Scholastic endeavors.

But, what I've found is that it is not the professors who are the snobs.  Of all the professors I've had, every one has been approachable and willing to answer even the most basic question.  They are people of deep faith, and yet humble enough to realize that faith is a journey, not a destination.  Almost every class begins with a prayer, and that prayer often mentions that we are sorry for the times we have let our own pride take hold of our being.  Of course, I can't speak for all professors, but the ones I've had do not allow their academic accomplishments define who they are.  They are first mothers, fathers, aunts, uncles, grandparents, neighbors, friends, teachers, etc. who also happen to be top of their field.

Where I have experienced this Snobbery is from some of the students.  Now, don't get me wrong.  Going into this Divinity School, I expected a certain level of academic rigor.  I also know that I'm coming from a pastoral point of view while others wish to become academics themselves.  However, I think both can, and should complement the other.  The pastorally focused students can remind the academically focused students of the practical, every day nature of our faith.  The academically focused students can remind the pastorally focused students that the theories, histories, and philosophies are important to understanding our faith.

Of course, there will always be competition in a major university.  People wouldn't be there if they were not "top of their game."  Students at these universities would not get to "rub shoulders" with world renowned professors if they did not have some level of academic excellence.

That being said, I think it is important for us all to refrain from Academic Snobbery.  That "I'm more intellectual than you are because I found a finer point in one of the theological readings" attitude.  I'm not sure if these students are trying to "prove their worth" to others? to themselves?  But, it's not working!

If a world renowned Professor does not need to "show off," what business do any of us students have in showing off?  Yes, we should do our best.  Yes, we should find the nuances of our faith in the writings of the various disciplines.  Yes, we should talk about them.  But, this endeavor should be one of mutual concern...one where all bring something to the discussion to shape and form understanding for all involved.  After all, God is not a competition.  Positions to teach or preach about God may involve competition, but the study of God is not.

No comments:

Post a Comment