Monday, September 9, 2013

Why I Fight this Battle

Recently, friends, family members, and readers of my blog have asked me why I write about the Great Lakes Region of Africa - more specifically Rwanda and the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC). The people who know me know that I have no direct connections to that area. I've never visited the area. Writing on such issues has caused me quite a bit of grief. So, hopefully, this will answer some questions. I will attempt to answer it in an FAQ "self-interview" format.

I did not make this map - But it shows the distance from the USA to Rwanda
What got you started in DRC/Rwanda issues?: Initially, I only knew about the 94 Genocide on a very superficial basis. I had just turned 16 and was working to get my driver's license. I know about the genocide, but I could not carry on any sort of conversation other than saying that it happened.

A few years ago, my wife and I made friends with a couple from a different African country who had come to America. They came early in their marriage as an adventure out of wanderlust. While here, they found good jobs and stayed. We were new to the town where they lived, and they were the first couple to reach out to us. They had children who were our son's age, and we immediately became close friends. 

I didn't want to be THAT friend who was always asking about their culture - I do have a fascination with other cultures and learning about how other people live their everyday lives. I'm also a language nerd - So, I knew I had a strong chance of becoming annoying and doing so very fast. Rather than constantly bothering them about the history of their home country and culture, I went to the local library and read as much as I could. American small-town libraries have very limited sections on Africa. What they do have, usually centers around the Rwandan Genocide. So, I began reading about that. 

Of course, victors write the history books. So, I felt I knew the true narrative. I watched "Hotel Rwanda," and was deeply disturbed by the horrors. I honestly didn't know what to make of it.  A few years later, I felt the call to ministry, and in a seminary orientation meeting, I met a person from Rwanda who would later become like a brother to me. We didn't talk about any issues that day, but eventually we would. 

Several months passed, and he shared that he was a survivor of the Genocide and he shared his story. His story did not quite match what I read in the books. In his story, Paul Kagame was not a hero - he was also guilty - maybe even more guilty. I didn't believe my friend at first. Then I researched on my own - I found the UN Mapping report as well as documents from Amnesty International and Human Rights watch. I also found testimonies from journalists and other survivors that matched his story. All of these unconnected people could not by lying. I knew they had to be telling the truth.

Describe your first issue of activism: William Penn University was hosting Paul Kagame as their commencement speaker in May 2012. Knowing only the bare minimum, I wrote a letter to the university suggesting that a Quaker (a Christian Peace Denomination) should reconsider having someone with such a record as their speaker and reconsider awarding him an honorary doctorate.

My letter somehow was leaked to a "Rwandan Intimidation Team." My e mail was flooded within a matter of hours. I received veiled threats. I had my address and other personal details e mailed to me. I was accused of Genocide Ideology. I found this to be a harsh response to a suggestion.

My letter was printed in International News Sources on the internet. Horrible things were said about me and my character. 

Months later, I found out that the Vice President of William Penn University is in the process of building a University in Rwanda, and he also owns a mineral trading company that deals in the Great Lakes Region. About a year later I would find out that Kagame's incursions are to get access to the mineral rich DRC. You can make whatever conclusions you want here. I am just stating the facts. Just for the record, I am not making any accusations.

Why did you continue this activism: As a Christian Pastor, I believe it is every Christian's duty to stand up for the truth. Doing so is not always comfortable. We are also called to be peacemakers. My advocacy is for peace in the region. Despite what my critics say, I have NEVER called for any violent overthrows of any government. Despite the 6 million + people that Kagame has killed, I have never called for his death. Yes, that would be an "easy" solution, but that would not be the Christian solution. The Christian solution is to stand in solidarity with his victims and say that enough is enough. It's time to call attention to his crimes and make the world aware. Hopefully, through God's power he will repent. If not, he will be judged. Judgement is not my job. 

I also continue because of the millions of innocent people who just want to live their lives, go to work, go to school, rest, grow gardens, have dinner, raise families, go to church, and do the things that I take for granted. They cannot because they constantly live in fear of militia troops under the orders of Kagame's government constantly invading their towns and cities. Hundreds of thousands of Congolese are currently displaced from their homes. They live in refugee camps, in the wild, they wander.  They have no stable food sources. They have no stable water sources. Why? Because politicians refuse to leave their greedy desires alone. Instead they victimize innocent people to achieve their fruitless ends. Yes, they "win" a city. But then a stronger group comes along and they lose that city. The cycle continues. It is for these innocent people who do not want this war that I continue.

Who are the politicians that are causing the issues? First and foremost, we need to remember that in the conflicts in the DRC area, there is not "good" vs. "bad." For the most part, there is "bad" vs. "worse."  The "good" are the innocent victims who suffer and are injured and killed everyday.

The first and most obvious cause of the problems is Paul Kagame President of Rwanda. Kagame is a narcissist who only is concerned with his own power. He claims he saved Rwanda from the Genocide, but all evidence points otherwise. Kagame sparked the Genocide and then continued it by slaughtering entire refugee camps in pursuit of those who killed Tutsis when he invaded the DRC after the 94 Genocide. He not only slaughtered the killers, but he slaughtered innocent men, women, and children. Of course he will deny this - what politician wouldn't? But the UN Mapping Report says otherwise. His defected members of his government say otherwise. 

Joseph Kabila is the President of the DRC. He is at best, an ineffective leader. At worst, he is a puppet of Paul Kagame. It is an open secret that Kagame through his Military leader James Kabarebe had Kabila's father, then President Laurent Kabila murdered.  Joseph Kabila was brought out of school to become then the youngest president in the world. He holds virtually no leadership skills. Is this because he has no skills? Or is this because he answers to Kagame? This is where the jury is out.

James Kabarebe is Rwanda's Minister of Defense. Essentially, he is Kagame's military might. Kabarebe is also a politician and quite a good one at that. Rwandan politicians are quite active on Twitter. When Kabarebe discovered my blog, he personally ordered me to "cease any discussion of Rwanda," as if I were one of his military subordinates. Yes, it was actually Kabarebe communicating with me. I had that confirmed from sources I have within Rwanda. He knows how to dodge questions, avoid questions, and he knows how to attempt to intimidate opposition.

Oliver Nduhungirehe is a Rwandan Diplomat a the United Nations. He is not the main Ambassador, but he is the public face of the Diplomatic team. In "internet terms," Oliver is a "troll." He spends hours policing Twitter and starting arguments and harassing dissenters. He makes veiled threats to the safety of others, though he is smart enough to keep it as an undercover threat that could be taken as something else. ****(See Bottom For a Correction of this statement)****For example, when he was "tweeting" back and forth to a Rwandan exile in England, Oliver told the man in exile to go back into hiding before someone got him. Of course, this was after the man explained why he couldn't return to Rwanda for those fears. Oliver also is good a diverting the conversation from the issues at hand to a minor detail someone may have gotten wrong. A journalist could have written an entire article but got a date wrong, and he will argue the date rather than the content of the article. Oliver is one of the few Hutus in Kagame's Tutsi Government. Whether he realizes it or not, Oliver is in the Government for show. He is there to be a puppet of the regime. He is there to show that Kagame is "inclusive" - something everyone knows he is not.

M23 is the militia that has invaded the DRC from Rwanda. Essentially, there is no difference between the Rwandan army and M23.  The Group of Experts of the UN have issued 2 reports on this militia. Kagame and his government continually deny sponsoring M23. The United States and United Kingdom refuse to acknowledge Rwanda by name when mentioning M23. They mention "regional support for illegal militias." M23 is not, as they say, a liberation movement. M23 is not doing the will of the people. M23 is a bringer of war and destruction. M23 is terrorizing the people of the DRC. If they were truly liberators, why would they bring war to the very people they are trying to save?

FARDC is the Congolese army. They are notoriously undisciplined and highly underpaid. They receive very little support from Kabila's Government. While one would think they are defending the people of the DRC, at times, they too go on looting and violent sprees where they massacre and rape their own people. Currently, they are allied with MONUSCO.

MONUSCO - is the UN Brigade in the DRC. At first it was a peacekeeping force. In November 2012, this peacekeeping brigade failed miserably as M23 took over the DRC city of Goma while MONUSCO sat back and watched. Now, MONUSCO is actively engaged with FARDC in a military battle against M23. 

CLARIFICATION - M23, FARDC, and MONUSCO alternate between active battles and returning to the negotiation table quite often. It is a daily task just to keep up with what is happening.

Why don't you focus on issues in your own country? - This is a question I get asked the most. The only answer I can give is this: What you read on my blog is just a snapshot of my life. This blog is NOT the entire story of my life. For this particular issue, I've found that this is the best outlet. For other issues, I have different platforms. Often the people asking this question have a hidden agenda to tell me to stay out of this issue. I can't, and I won't.  My answer is that it is no one's business what other issues I tackle and how I tackle them. As Jesus said, we are not to boast of our spiritual practices. I believe that activism is a spiritual practice. Whether or not I directly mention God, God is always the subject.  God is the reason I do what I do. I'm not going to brag about the things I do. Yes, this issue is public, but it is the only way I've found that works and reaches the people that it needs to reach. Do I work on other issues? Yes! What are they? If you know me, you'll find out. If you don't know me, you don't have to worry about it. 

There are conflicts and wars in many places - Why this one? I ask myself the same question. I can't explain the exact reasoning. I guess it's a "God thing." I also know that other wars are in the public's attention so much that they don't need more activists. When is the last time you read about the Congo on the front page of ANY (non-African) newspaper?  More people have been killed here than in Syria - where the US Government is currently considering bombing. Why does the US consider humanitarian bombing (Yes, that is one of the most stupid terms I've ever heard) in Syria, but completely ignore Congo? The people of Congo deserve advocates! They need to be empowered to speak for themselves! They need to be heard. No one has listened for the past 19 years. When will someone listen? That is why I write on this issue.

But your narrative doesn't match up with the narrative I heard - Most people heard this - The genocide started in 1994. Kagame came in and saved the nation. He went into Congo to get the perpetrators of the genocide, and by chance, as in all wars, some innocent people were killed. He has modernized Rwanda and he is a stable and benevolent leader.  

That narrative is from Kagame. Remember - Victors write the history books! Ask Victore Ingabire if Kagame is telling the truth...Oh, wait...you can't...she's in jail in horrible conditions because she said Hutus were also killed in the genocide and should be acknowledged.  Ask Dr. Theogene Rudasingwa. He was Kagame's Chief-of-Staff. He is now in exile for fear of his life. He admitted that Kagame shot down the former president's plane that sparked the genocide. He admitted Kagame's crimes in the Congo. Ask Kagame's former body guard who fled for his life. He was put in a witness protection program. This program was breached by Rwandan intelligence. He was captured and kidnapped. Thanks to Ugandan police, he was saved.  Ask those who work for Kagame. If they don't meet his standards, he calls them into his office and beats them with a stick. You don't need to re-read that - he's admitted to it in an interview to the New York Times. Ask the people of Rwanda who are afraid to speak. They feel they are constantly monitored wherever they go. They never know if they are being spied upon. 

Is that a benevolent president? Does a benevolent president kill 6 million Congolese? 

So what should happen? I've been very clear - I do NOT call for violence. We have too much of that right now! First of all, any foreign aid to Kagame's government should be stopped. That will paralyze him. That will cause his people to demand a leader who can lead without causing so much fear. Then there should be free elections. Despite what Kagame says, Rwanda does not have to fear another Genocide. The only reason there is fear is because Kagame promotes it and suppresses it. Hutus and Tutsis are not enemies. They can get along. They have for hundreds of years. Kagame has artificially caused division and fear. The people need to realize there is no reason to fear. A real leader can show them that.

Correction: The above statement in blue as it turns out is not

 completely accurate. I apologize to all parties involved! Oliver

 DID NOT tell the person to go back into hiding (who is NOT in

 exile) before someone got him. After being told that time is

running out for the murderous RPF Regime, Oliver's Direct Quote

 in a Veiled threat stated in a Twitter Exchange on June 29, 2013: 

"Time is running out for who? For our leaders,

implementing policies for our people, or for a guy locked up

in a London flat?" 

4 comments:

  1. You have triedto describe key players in the region but, You have not talked of them. Are You their public relation officer in the US and internet? Biased!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I meant you did not talked about the FDLR

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't debate with anonymous people

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bravo to you for your work! I am also trying to shine a lot on the dictatorship and its relationship to the Anglican Church in Rwanda:
    http://livingtext.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete