Saturday, July 23, 2011

Gone Before Their Time

This is not the happiest post I'll have one here...If you're not in the mood for sad reading, you have my permission to go on web surfing to a more happy place.

It all started this week when I found out that a boy (well, a man now) who went to school with my sister and was one of her friends was killed by a roadside bomb in Afghanistan.  Though I am not in favor of this war, and I oppose war in general, that does not mean I wish for anyone's death.  It is no secret that I am a Christian Pacifist (debate and justification of that issue is for another time), but as a Pacifist, I don't wish to see anyone die.  I knew this soldier in passing.  We hung with different crowds in school, but I knew him by name, and he knew me.  We never had a conversation other than "hi."  From what I've heard about him, he was a dedicated soldier to this cause, and he was "gung-ho" for all he did.  He leaves behind a family and a girlfriend of many years plus many friends.  What can we learn from a death like this?  It's easy to start political finger-pointing, but that won't heal anything.  How can we reconcile a 30 year old who had his whole life before him dying a violent and brutal death?  Our hope in God's Kingdom provides some solace, but God also created this life too.  And, if we take Scripture seriously, God's Kingdom is on earth and in Heaven.  Maybe more perfect there than here, but all who want it have a part of God's Kingdom within them.

Then, today, I found out that a year ago, a former student of mine from my teaching days (before going into the ministry) died.  I was a year late in finding out, but none the less saddened.  I was her music teacher when she was in 7th grade.  She was new to our school, but fit in immediately.  She was a very sweet girl who could also make you want to pull your hair out at times.  She was a typical 7th grader.  Hyper, happy, moody, but a wonderful student to teach.  Her death was not a "violent death" per se.  She had a heart condition and died after going to rehab following surgery.  She was 17 years old.  Why did this young person die?  Why would God take her and yet let lying/cheating/murdering/etc. people live?  I can't answer that question except by going by a theme in the Book of Job.  The theme isn't this explicit, but in the vernacular, we'd say "Shit Happens."  But, this is so much more than "shit."  It's depressing and it's not fair.  She'll never graduate, go to another school dance, go on a date, go to college, find a job, get married, have a family, or answer God's call to her life.  Did God take her? Or did it "just happen?"  While I can't answer with certainty, I think it just happened.  That doesn't mean God didn't act.  God brought her to the Kingdom.  God provided the seamless transition between this life and the next.  God gives comfort to those who grieve.  I don't understand it, and I don't like it, but if God's promises are true, and I have every reason to believe they are, this is something I will never understand except to say "God wins."

That girl marked the 4th former student I lost to death.  One girl died a few years back in Arizona where I started my teaching career.  I don't know the circumstances of her death.  I lost a 3rd grade boy, who would have graduated around this time by being hit by a car.  I was the first teacher on the scene to help, but there was nothing I could do.  I also had a student who was cognitively and physically disabled die a few years ago from the illness that he'd had all his life.

These are just the people I know about.  My heart breaks thinking about it, but I believe that if it didn't break, I would be worse.  By the fact that things like this upset us, it proves that there is still goodness and love in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment