Thursday, July 14, 2011

Meditations on Psalm 3

Psalm 3 (The NRSV version of the Psalm is in regular type, my meditations are in italics throughout the psalm)

Trust in God under Adversity

A Psalm of David, when he fled from his son Absalom.
1 O Lord, how many are my foes!
   Many are rising against me;
2 many are saying to me,
   ‘There is no help for you in God.’
          Selah 

(According to the inscription, David wrote this while fleeing from Absalom, his son who wanted his throne.  I don't have a throne, nor do I have many human enemies.  My enemies are often "internal" attacks on my spirit.  They are feelings of "not being good enough," "exhaustion," "tryng to combat hopeless situations," and so forth.  But yet, like David, my "foes" are numerous.  My "foes' tell me there is no help for me from God.  

Selah- While there is no standard translation, I read that it may mean something to the effect of "think about what was said."  It invites us to meditate on the passage we just read.  This may or may not be accurate, but it seems to be good practice...to consciously remind us to not just read, but internalize the scriptures.)

3 But you, O Lord, are a shield around me,
   my glory, and the one who lifts up my head.
4 I cry aloud to the Lord,
   and he answers me from his holy hill.
          Selah 
(This passage shows both the nearness of God and the Separation, or "Holy otherness of God."  God is with us.  God is our shield...even against our internal enemies.  God lifts our heads from despair to hope.  But yet, God is a Holy Other.  God resides apart from us.  This makes very metaphysical sense.  How can God be away and yet near?  Only God knows that answer.  But, the message is clear - God hears and answers.)
5 I lie down and sleep;
   I wake again, for the Lord sustains me.
6 I am not afraid of tens of thousands of people
   who have set themselves against me all around. 

(I sleep and I wake - all normal "everyday" activities.  And through the normal, God transcends our reality into God's reality.  To say I am not afraid can be misunderstood.  I am afraid...if I were alone.  But, God is with me (and you), and fear needs not have hold of us.  No matter how strong the problem, our God is stronger).
7 Rise up, O Lord!
   Deliver me, O my God!
For you strike all my enemies on the cheek;
   you break the teeth of the wicked. 

(Here we ask God for deliverance....But deliverance from what???  From our enemies?  I have very few external enemies (if any).  My greatest enemy lives within myself.  It is the voice that says I'm not good enough, I'm not smart enough, I'm not worthy of God's love.  But, the Psalm goes on to say God will strike my enemies on the cheek and break the teeth of the wicked.  Notice it doesn't say God will destroy enemies.  God will just "put them in their place," because after all, they are God's children too whether they know it or not.  In our internal struggles, God will turn our self-doubt to humility.  A humility that doesn't raise us to God's level, but yet lets us know we are valued and loved.)

8 Deliverance belongs to the Lord;
   may your blessing be on your people!
          Selah

(God decides how to deliver us, but the promise of deliverance is there.  God will remove enemies, whether they are external or internal.  And God will bless all of God's children - that is the whole world -- Selah - Think about it).

No comments:

Post a Comment