Friday, July 20, 2012

In Honor and Memory of the Victims and Families and Friends of the Aurora, Colorado Movie Theatre Shooting


In Honor and Memory of the Victims and Families and Friends of the Aurora, Colorado Movie Theatre Shooting

What words can be said that can bring comfort to such a tragic and senseless event?  What would bring someone to the point of taking a dozen lives and injuring many more?  Why would someone attack people who are just out to watch a movie?

There will be finger pointing.  There will be blaming.  There will be anger.  There will be hatred.  There will be radicalism.  Some will use this event for their own self interests and political gain.  Some will become bitter for the rest of their lives.

Many will ask, "Where was God?"  Some will say, "This is God's judgment."  Groups will warn, "Don't question God."  Some will declare, "God is too weak."  Some will even proclaim, "There is no God."

I have no words of comfort to offer those who were affected by this violent act.  I don't know what drove this gunman to do this.  I can't answer why he chose to attack a movie theatre.

Of course, there is fault to be shared.  Of course, there is blame to be shared.  We should be angry.  We do not need to hate!  We do not need to fall victim to radicalism.  We should not dishonor these victims by using their suffering for our own self interests or political gain.  We need to stand by those who cannot erase the bitterness from their lives because of this event and show them that even after tragedy, the sun will rise again tomorrow.

I don't know where God was.  I would guess that God was trying to convince the shooter to stop before he started.  I would guess that God was trying to calm the victims and give them clarity of mind to get to safety.  I would guess that God was letting the dying know that they are loved.

To those who say this is God's Judgment, I would ask you how you got your information?  Do you have an inside view of God's mind?  They will most likely answer with Old Testament Prophecies.  And to that, I answer that they need to learn their history - that these prophecies were about Ancient Israel - and then we can talk.

To those who say that we shouldn't question God, I point you to the Cross.  Didn't Jesus quote Psalm 22?  "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?" God is big enough to handle our questions.

To those who say God is too weak, I will point you to the Fall.  If God made us as Robots, then we would not be capable of true love of God and each other.  If we are capable of love, we are also capable of hate.  We choose to love or hate.  Sadly, there are consequences and others may suffer.

To those who say this proves there is no God, I will tell you this proves exactly the opposite.  In the days and weeks to come, watch this nation and this world of people who normally disagree with one another pull together in aid, prayer, and support to this town.  Watch tears of sorrow, even for a brief moment, turn into tears of unexpected joy at the outpouring of love bestowed upon victims and their families.  Watch over the next few years as what seems like the end of the line for some people turns out to be the beginning of a journey - one that will inspire others and glorify God.  Yes, this won't be the case for all.  Some will choose not to see God.  But many will.  Just watch.


In Closing, here is Psalm 23 which is often read at funerals.  On the left is the Hebrew, and on the Right is my translation.  As you read it, notice how it builds.  The reader is the narrator.  You begin as a sheep.  At the end, you are in the House of the Lord.  This Psalm is more for the survivors than for the departed.  It chronicles our stages of faith - our stages of life - our stages of growth in God.

Psalm 23 (Please note that for some reason, the Hebrew may not publish accurately on your computer screen - I will leave it in here in case your browser supports that font)
א  מִזְמוֹר לְדָוִד:    יְהוָה רֹעִי, לֹא אֶחְסָר.1 A Melody (Psalm) of David. The LORD is my shepherd; I need nothing
ב  בִּנְאוֹת דֶּשֶׁא, יַרְבִּיצֵנִי;    עַל-מֵי מְנֻחוֹת יְנַהֲלֵנִי.2 He makes me lie down in green pastures; By still waters he leads me.
ג  נַפְשִׁי יְשׁוֹבֵב;    יַנְחֵנִי בְמַעְגְּלֵי-צֶדֶק, לְמַעַן שְׁמוֹ.3 He restores my soul; He guides me in righteous paths for the sake of His name.
ד  גַּם כִּי-אֵלֵךְ בְּגֵיא צַלְמָוֶת, לֹא-אִירָא רָע--    כִּי-אַתָּה עִמָּדִי;
שִׁבְטְךָ וּמִשְׁעַנְתֶּךָ,    הֵמָּה יְנַחֲמֻנִי.
4 Yea, because I walk through the valley of the dead, I will not fear evil, because You are with me;
Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.
ה  תַּעֲרֹךְ לְפָנַי, שֻׁלְחָן--    נֶגֶד צֹרְרָי;
דִּשַּׁנְתָּ בַשֶּׁמֶן רֹאשִׁי,    כּוֹסִי רְוָיָה.
5 You prepare a table before me in front of my enemies
You have anointed my head with oil; my cup spills over.
ו  אַךְ, טוֹב וָחֶסֶד יִרְדְּפוּנִי--    כָּל-יְמֵי חַיָּי;
וְשַׁבְתִּי בְּבֵית-יְהוָה,    לְאֹרֶךְ יָמִים.
6 Surely goodness and faithful mercy shall follow me all the days of my life;
and I shall return to the house of the LORD for ever. 

No comments:

Post a Comment