Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Reflecting on DRC/Rwanda Conversations


I’ve again recently engaged in some discussions concerning my writings about the Democratic Republic of the Congo and Rwanda.  These discussions have at times been respectful questioning of my motives, and at other times ad hominem attacks of my person and motives. 

As a person who writes about social situations, and especially about controversial situations, I fully expect such interaction.  Everyone who reads my writing is entitled to his or her own interpretation and belief. 

After these recent discussions, I want to lay out my issues as I see them to make things as clear as possible.

First of all, and this is very important:  I am NOT a journalist.  I am a pastor and theology student.  I take situations and frame them theologically.  Whether I mention God or not by name, God is first and foremost the subject of what I have to say.  When I say, “The Congolese people deserve peace,” I say that because all of God’s children deserve peace.

I have been told in recent conversations that I should go to Rwanda to do my own research to find the truth.  I object to this argument on several points.  First, the research has been done.  Why do I need to research what has already been researched?  Some may object to the findings of this research, but the Government of Rwanda has been given multiple opportunities to present their case.  They have presented arguments against this research, though the world community has not accepted it.  Why would anything I have to find be any different? 

Let me elaborate more on this point.  Rwanda engages in intimidation techniques of those with whom they disagree.  See this interview with Steve Hege of the Group of Experts that presented the United Nations with a report incriminating Members within the Government of Rwanda with supporting the M23 Militia that has invaded and is terrorizing the people of the DRC (http://theglobalobservatory.org/interviews/414-interview-with-steve-hege-former-coordinator-un-group-of-experts-on-the-drc.html) In this article, Hege describes his research methodology, but also the intimidation techniques used against him.

I also have been victim of Rwanda’s intimidation techniques.  To me this is abhorrent.  I am of NO threat to any government.  I will not go into detail, but those who read this who have engaged in this intimidation know what I am speaking of.  I know of others who also have been victims. 

I have to ask as I did in a recent post…If you are right, and all of these reports are wrong, why intimidate? Why not prove to us that we are wrong?  I have yet to receive ONE piece of evidence disproving ANYTHING.  I have not received ONE web link, one article, or one substantive piece of evidence.  All I’ve received is name-calling and “intimidation.”  Those who have been respectful have told me to do my own research.  Again, I ask, why?

The Group of Experts Report (GoE)(http://www.un.org/ga/search/view_doc.asp?symbol=S/2012/843) implicates Rwandan officials of illegal activities.  Rwanda did respond to this report (http://www.minaffet.gov.rw/fileadmin/templates/minaffet/doc/Rwanda's%20Response.pdf) and the Group of Experts replied to it in Annex 3 in the GoE Report above. 

I will be fair in saying that I realize there are multiple militias in the DRC that are NOT affiliated with Rwanda.  The DRC is a poorly run nation under the poor leadership of Joseph Kabila.  Kabila is nothing short of an incompetent dictator.  When he sent DRC forces to battle M23 in the city of Goma, it was the Congolese forces who committed sexual violence and rape against THEIR OWN women along with the UN Peacekeeping forces (MONUSCO); NOT M23. 

The DRC is a living Hell for its citizens who deserve much better!  They live in abject poverty since the nation is in constant chaos and militia battles.  And remember, this is one of the richest nations in the world with minerals.

I also do not need to travel to Rwanda to do research because of how its president Paul Kagame treats opposition.  He arrests and even kills those who show opposition.  Rwanda is a one party state.  (http://www.thedailybeast.com/newsweek/2013/01/13/the-case-against-rwanda-s-president-paul-kagame.html).  Kagame is also responsible for the deaths of millions. Estimates range from 6-10 million dead.  Following the Rwandan Genocide, Kagame invaded the DRC two times under the guise of attacking those who committed the genocide.  However, Kagame ordered his Rwandan Patriotic Front (RPF) army to kill indiscriminately, thus sparking the First and Second Congo Wars (http://www.friendsofthecongo.org/pdf/mapping_report_en.pdf). 

It is not simple to explain away the situation in either Rwanda or the DRC.  Yes, Kagame has modernized Rwanda.  He has brought positive changes.  But, this is at the expense of millions of lives and despotic rule. 

The DRC suffers not only because of Rwanda – they would have their own problems if M23 were not involved. 

So, what is the solution?  The solution is NOT more violence.  Though Kagame is a war criminal and a murderer bordering on a perpetrator of genocide, he does not need to be killed.  He needs to stop all violence and autocratic rule.  The United Nations Security Council needs to formally charge him with war crimes with the International Criminal Court where he needs to be tried. 

Rwanda then needs a leader that will lead them to true reconciliation following the Genocide of 1994.  Kagame’s solution was to blame it entirely on the Hutu tribe and then “officially” eradicate tribal affiliation, while still maintaining that if one even mentions that Hutus suffered, that person is guilty of the crime of Genocide Denial (punishable by long prison sentences).  This reconciliation will be painful and it will be long. But, it is possible.  It happened in South Africa after apartheid (which involved senseless massacres).  It unofficially happened in Zimbabwe after independence when Zimbabwe emerged from what was once called Rhodesia.  Now, whites and blacks can live in the same country without killing one another.  Reconciliation is not perfect. There may be grievances for a long time, but it allows for the wounds to begin to truly heal.  Kagame has only pronounced them healed with no treatment.

As for the DRC, the solution is very complex.  First, they need a competent leader.  That leader needs competent regional leaders.  These leaders must be democratically elected and truly represent the people.  Congo’s wealth must belong to the Congolese people.  Foreign invasion (military or corporate) must stop.  Instead of invasion, there needs to be investment and partnership. 

Is any of this possible?  Absolutely!  It is all possible.  Is it likely?  It’s as likely as a snowball in Hell.  Kagame is seduced by the idolatry of power.  If he lets go of power, he knows he will be charged with serious war crimes.  Therefore, he must continue his despotic rule and indoctrination of his citizens.  In the DRC, this is only possible if the people of the DRC say enough is enough.  Sadly, they are so used to suffering that many don’t know another way of life.  They’ve accepted it as normal. 

To conclude, I will be accused of being a neo-colonialist.  I will be accused of being a white preaching to Africa how to run itself.  As for the colonialist, that is a distraction.  Nowhere did I mention that any foreign intervention is needed.  It is true, I am white.  I can’t do anything about that.  Am I preaching to Africa?  I suppose I am if one considers it preaching to say that murder and genocide are wrong; if one considers despotism and rape evil.  But, these are not confined to Africa – these are universal realities and truths.

There will also be name calling and someone will ask, what makes me an expert?  To that, I ask, “Does one have to be an expert to know that people should be able to live in peace?” “Does one have to be an expert to know that genocide and murder are wrong?”  I think not. 

Others will say that I’m jumping into something that is none of my business.  How is this not my business?  When tragedies happen in the US, isn’t that everyone’s business?  Shouldn’t the world care more about each other and not less?  Aren’t we all Children of God?

Some will say I don’t know what I’m talking about because I haven’t been there.  As a Pastor, I have never met Jesus in the flesh, but I put my faith in him because I’ve met him in other non-physical ways.  Since I haven’t “been there” with Jesus does that mean I don’t know what I’m talking about?

None of this is to promote hatred, it’s to promote peace.  Is it controversial? – absolutely!  Will people hate me? – probably.  Will I hate them back? – no!

2 comments:

  1. God bless you for your prayers for Congo and this region

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you - And God bless you too!

    ReplyDelete