Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Ash Wednesday 2013 Sermon- Ashes and Dust


Genesis 1:7, 21-23 
7then the Lord God formed man from the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and the man became a living being.21So the Lord God caused a deep sleep to fall upon the man, and he slept; then he took one of his ribs and closed up its place with flesh. 22And the rib that the Lord God had taken from the man he made into a woman and brought her to the man. 23Then the man said, “This at last is bone of my bones and flesh of my flesh; this one shall be called Woman, for out of Man this one was taken.”

Genesis 3:17-19 
17And to the man he said, “Because you have listened to the voice of your wife, and have eaten of the tree about which I commanded you, ‘You shall not eat of it,’ cursed is the ground because of you; in toil you shall eat of it all the days of your life; 18thorns and thistles it shall bring forth for you; and you shall eat the plants of the field. 19By the sweat of your face you shall eat bread until you return to the ground, for out of it you were taken; you are dust, and to dust you shall return.”


Sermon – Ashes and Dust
         What a quick transition God made!  In the first scripture from Genesis 2, we have God creating Man and then Woman from the dust of the earth.  Essentially, God is blessing the dust.  God is breathing life into the dust.  If you use your imagination, God isn’t just breathing into the dust, but God is putting mouth against mouth to the human formed dust.  The last time I checked, that was called “kissing.”  Of course, this is a holy kiss – a kiss we probably can’t imagine ourselves – a kiss that only God is capable of giving, but it was a kiss nonetheless. 
         In Scene Two in Genesis 3, the dust now becomes a curse.  It becomes a source of labor.  The very dust that humans were formed from will now be the very dust that they will toil over as they farm, build homes, build cities, and make lives…all of this because of sin.  The sin was eating of the fruit.  Adam blamed Eve, Eve blamed the serpent, and God being God knew that Adam and Eve had much better sense than that – They had to face their consequences. 
         The wonder of Scripture is that it’s not just a story of Ancient events or even just words of wisdom.  It’s a living and breathing text that speaks to us in modern times!  We are dust.  That is a scientific fact.  We will return to dust. That, too, is a scientific fact. 
         Of course, the first part of what I just said – that we are made of dust, is something that we don’t mind thinking about.  In fact, when we imagine it, we are God’s special creation.  We are God’s sculpture with God’s life breathed into each of us.  The second part is the part that most of us wish I would not mention, or that I would mention just in passing.  If you want complete honesty, I would love to avoid this topic myself!
          Everyone in this room (and for that matter, everyone out of this room) has a 100% chance of dying.  The reality is that no one escapes this life alive.  Not one of us knows the day nor the hour nor how it will happen.  All we know is that it will undoubtedly happen.  We will die!  For some of us, it will be painless.  For others of us, it may be painful.  For some of us, it may be unexpected.  For others, it may be after a long life.  None of us are promised another day, or for that matter, none of us are promised another minute on this earth. 
         For a moment, let’s dwell in that tension between life and death.  Even those of us who know Christ as Savior, in the back of our minds, we’d probably be lying if we said we didn’t harbor at least a little fear of death.  But, what exactly do we fear? Do we fear that we don’t believe exactly the right thing? If that’s the test, then none of us have hope.  Do we fear that the day we die, we may harbor a little resentment against God or be in a state of sin? Then again, none of us have hope.  Being saved is not about getting every belief perfect, but it does involve serious belief and reflection.  It doesn’t involve never sinning, but it does involve doing your best to avoid sin.  God is gracious enough to know that we are human and to know that we have flaws, but we still are required to cooperate with God's Grace in our lives.  
         The good news is that what we call death is not the end.  Though our body turns back to the dust of the Earth, our soul will be reunited with our Creator.  And one day, when Christ returns to redeem the world – notice I didn’t say “end the world” – When Christ comes to redeem the world, our bodies, in some sort of “heavenly state” will be reunited eternally with our souls.  What this "heavenly body" will look like is a mystery.  I sure hope (for my sake) that it will be better than what I see in the mirror each morning, but whatever it looks like, it will be what God intended.  This dust will be made new again in the form that God first intended that humanity destroyed through sin.
         As we enter the Lenten season, this is a time to reflect on our sins to prepare for the new reality made possible through Christ’s resurrection on Easter.  Some people give something up.  I’ll confess that I’m not good at that because I’ve never seen the point. It does my spirit no good to give up chocolate or meat or bread or TV.  If that works for you, then by all means, do it – but remember WHY you do it.  It won’t make you more holy. God won’t love you more. If you fail, God won’t hate you. And remember what Jesus said about practicing piety and holiness and good works in the book of Matthew Chapter 6.  I’ll summarize – If you’re going to show off or make the rest of us miserable by your complaining – eat the darn chocolate because you’re missing the point and you’re sinning and you're plain being irritating.  Another practice – one I’m going to try this year is something that was thought up by a group called Rethink Church.  (At the bottom of this sermon is a list of what Rethink Church proposed).  On this handout lists each day of Lent.  It gives a theme for each day.  In some way, you can represent or live out that theme.  They recommend you do a photo challenge where you take a picture of that theme and be creative.  But, if you are a poet, why not write a poem?  Why not find a scripture? Why not draw a picture? Why not find a picture and glue it to a notebook?  Your choices are limitless. 
         However you decide to observe Lent, remember that the focus is God – not you. God is always the subject.  We are merely the actors.
         But for a moment, let’s go back to tonight’s them – Dust and Ashes.  Chemically they are very similar.  Ashes in Biblical times represented mourning and grief.  Tonight, we dwell in the land of grief, but again, we know that we don’t stay here.  We grieve our own mortality.  We grieve Christ’s Sufferings.  We grieve our Sins.  We represent all of that by receiving the mark of ashes. 

In a few moments, we will receive the ashes as a symbol of our mortality and repentance of our sins, but first, Let us pray together Psalm 51 as we confess our sins to God.  As an anecdote, it was 5 years ago, not to the date, but to this particular service, that through this Psalm, this prayer that I received a confirmation from God that I was indeed called to the ministry.  It was the assurance that I needed to know that it wasn't just a passing thought or a mere "good idea" to serve the church more deeply but rather a true calling to dedicate my life to God's Church.


Psalm 51

1Have mercy on me, O God, according to your steadfast love; according to your abundant mercy blot out my transgressions.
2Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin.
3For I know my transgressions, and my sin is ever before me.
4Against you, you alone, have I sinned, and done what is evil in your sight, so that you are justified in your sentence and blameless when you pass judgment.
5Indeed, I was born guilty, a sinner when my mother conceived me.
6You desire truth in the inward being; therefore teach me wisdom in my secret heart.
7Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean; wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.
8Let me hear joy and gladness; let the bones that you have crushed rejoice.
9Hide your face from my sins, and blot out all my iniquities.
10Create in me a clean heart, O God, and put a new and right spirit within me.
11Do not cast me away from your presence, and do not take your holy spirit from me.
12Restore to me the joy of your salvation, and sustain in me a willing spirit.
13Then I will teach transgressors your ways, and sinners will return to you.
14Deliver me from bloodshed, O God, O God of my salvation, and my tongue will sing aloud of your deliverance.
15O Lord, open my lips, and my mouth will declare your praise.
16For you have no delight in sacrifice; if I were to give a burnt offering, you would not be pleased.
17The sacrifice acceptable to God is a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise.
18Do good to Zion in your good pleasure; rebuild the walls of Jerusalem,
19then you will delight in right sacrifices, in burnt offerings and whole burnt offerings; then bulls will be offered on your altar.

Rethink Church's Lenten Challenge

No comments:

Post a Comment