Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Open Letter to President of Emory University


Dear Jim,

I suppose you are used to titles such as President Wagner, but after reading your essay and subsequent “clarification” concerning the “3/5 compromise,” I know of other un-Christian names which would also apply, so we will “compromise” by addressing you with your first name.

For those unfamiliar with the essay and clarification, both can be read at this link:  http://www.emory.edu/EMORY_MAGAZINE/issues/2013/winter/register/president.html

As a pastor, I am willing to extend you grace and forgiveness for your mistake in your original essay saying that the “3/5 compromise” (i.e. to determine the population of the United States, and thus Congressional Power, slaves would be counted as 3/5 of a human) was “working toward the highest aspiration they both [the North and the South] shared.”  I am willing to grant you grace, however, your second “explanation” essay is nothing short of damage control. 

Your explanation was awkward at best.  Your explanations leave us with too many unknowns while your original essay suggests that the “3/5 compromise” was part of a “messy debate” that held the nation together.

We live in a sad reality where people who live in ivory towers, such as yourself, Jim, rarely face the consequences of their actions. Yes, you may feel guilt for what happened.  People may protest.  You may receive letters and e mails that your staff will read that you will most likely never see, but Jim, I doubt that you will face any real consequences.

For a moment, Jim, put yourself in the shoes of an African-American student on your campus.  Think of how this student had to struggle just to get to be a student at your campus.  Our society is filled with barriers for people of color, the poor, and those who come from unprivileged backgrounds.  Think of how that same student is looked at differently by the very professors whom you employ.  He or she may perform at the same level, but because of the color of his or her skin, there is suspicion and a hidden and unspoken standard of which I think you wouldn’t dare deny.  Jim, we all know that some college aged people who are experiencing their first taste of freedom will take full advantage of that and engage in parties where alcohol and/or drugs may be present.  Maybe you did so yourself, Jim.  I cannot claim to be innocent from my college days.  Let’s pretend that a white student and a black student on the very same night engage in underage drinking.  In your heart of hearts, should both pass before a police vehicle, who do you think would be suspected of wrongdoing more than the other?

As a university president, and as a president of an institution as prestigious as Emory, you should have known that this was not a good idea.   I have to ask you, Jim, at what point did it cross your mind that this topic was THE topic of “compromise?” 

I commend you for apologizing, but again, I question whether that is enough.  What would have happened if an African-American University President made a similar comment about white privilege?  I think we can agree, Jim, that he or she would face tougher consequences than you will face. 

I’m not a person who seeks revenge, but I am one who looks out for my neighbor.  Jim, you insulted and injured my neighbor.  Your explanation did little, if anything, to heal the wounds.  In one essay, you brought to life an institution that has oppressed millions of people since the 1600’s and continues to do so today.  What was once slavery in the United States (or in the 1600’s – colonial fields for various nations) is still alive and well as racism.  Rather than heal, you reopened the wounds.  If I dare use slavery terms, you added more lashes on to the backs of our African-American brothers and sisters – people I call friends.  You hurt people who are not here by choice, whose ancestors were forced to work in inhumane conditions, whose families were sold as property, and people who do not even have the ability to know their own history, Jim.

I honestly do not know what you can do to make things better.  Maybe you can volunteer some time in a homeless shelter or ministry to see what it is like to truly be oppressed. Get to know these people.  See their humanity.  See the face of God as you look into their eyes.  But, Jim, if you do so only out of guilt, you’ve lost the meaning and the effort is lost.  I pray, Jim, that you are not lost and this was only a dumb mistake.  I pray that you will do something more meaningful than this weak apology and weaker explanation.

In Christ,

TH

2 comments:

  1. I agree that apologies are not enough but what would he be able to do for penance?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good question. Honestly, I've struggled with that answer myself. My main issue is that anyone in that level of authority cannot make such mistakes - he has PR reps., and countless other staff members that most likely saw the article in question. It would be the same for Pastors saying such a thing from the pulpit. We just can't make such mistakes. All that said, we all are human, and I believe that if his apology is sincere, he should be forgiven. But, that's easy for me to say as one who isn't directly impacted by his statements. I would hope that he and those directly hurt by his statements could come to a peaceful reconciliation. Whatever penance he would have to do to "make things right" would have to be acceptable to him and to God and to those he hurt. I'm not sure I should even have a voice in what that should be. I hope people will be graceful - I've heard through many comments on the Facebook page - that this is out of character for him, and is really more of a dumb mistake. Still, people were hurt. In that case, I would pray that all extremes can be put aside and real discussion can take place. In that process is where the penance and healing would happen or be determined.

    ReplyDelete