Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Questions for M23 and M23 Sympathizers

This post is not intended to hurt anyone, but it is rather to educate myself.  I know some will be angry that I even engage M23. Though I respect your right to be angry, I am doing this for myself - I, personally, want to learn the motivations behind this group. I want to hear from them and not from a 3rd party. Is that controversial? Probably. Is it wrong? I don't know - right now, I fell this is what I need to do.

 NOTE: If comments on this post become abusive or involve name calling, I will delete them

Recently, on Twitter, I've been followed by some people who are sympathizers of M23.  By all UN reports and Western Media, M23 has been characterized as a militia supported by the Paul Kagame Regime of Rwanda that has destabilized Eastern Congo.  They deny these charges.  In order to be fair, I am going to give these people the chance to speak for themselves.

You can answer in the comment section below, or answer on my Twitter account @tomhallberg1.  If you don't want your name used, that is fine, but if you don't use your name, please be honest and respectful.

For other readers - Though you may not like what you read, feel free to respectfully ask questions in the comment section below.

As stated above, all abusive comments will be deleted.  People are suffering and dying in East Congo, and we do not need to contribute to that - I believe every side agrees to that.

Here are my questions I would like answered:

1. What are the goals of M23? Why pursue them through military means and not diplomatic means?  (Yes, I realize the complexity of politics and especially DRC politics; are those politics too hard to negotiate?)

2. From what I understand (and I could be wrong - so please correct me if I'm wrong), M23 says they are representing an oppressed people.  I'm assuming those are Tutsis after the Rwandan Genocide of 94 who are in DRC.  How will you represent the oppressed without hurting the innocents in the majority? In American terms - in the 1960's we had a Civil Rights movement to gain equal rights for Black Americans.  Obviously this caused tension between White Americans and Black Americans.  But, not all White Americans were opposed to Civil Rights, and some stood side by side with Black Americans.  It's true that Whites didn't suffer what the Blacks did, but there was solidarity.  Can there be peace with Hutus?

3. How do you plan to protect innocent civilians?  In any war/battle, images of refugees flood the media.  Can you promise not to harm innocents and allow food/water aid to reach civilian areas?

4. Many accusations have been made by the UN.  Are you, or are you not supported by Rwanda.  If not, where have you received your weapons?

5.  I admit I am a White Westerner from the USA.  But, as a Christian, I believe that despite our location or color, we are all brothers and sisters.  What roll do you see for a person like me.  I can't travel to Africa at the moment, but I do care about your people.

6.  Can you achieve your means in peaceful manners?  I'll admit upfront that I am a Christian Pacifist and that I believe taking a life is wrong. To explain that would take too much time right now.  In fact, in a discussion, when someone talked about hoping for the death of a war criminal, I argued against it.  I acknowledged his crimes, but to take his life would only add to the injustice.

Please know I ask these questions in good faith to understand.  I don't want prepared statements, I want conversation.  Despite our differences, we have more in common.  I can't promise I will agree with you, and I may ask follow-up questions, so you may want to bookmark this page. But, I promise I will consider everything you have to say.  I ask other readers to do the same.

2 comments:

  1. I had a person who said he is a representative of M23 answer some questions on my Twitter page. I will not mention his name since I did not get permission to do so. Here are HIS words (I will only change abbreviations into the full word or words) (for those unfamiliar with Twitter, one can only enter 140 characters, so abbreviations are common):

    "Today, the International Community is supporting rebellion in Syria, thousands innocent people are dying. Kabila's government is worse than Assad's. Despite vast resources, more than 72% of Congolese live on $1/day, DRC is the last in the world in terms of [the] human development index. M23 is fighting for good governance, justice, human rights, infrastructures, etc. DRC people are dying because of bad governance."

    ReplyDelete
  2. After receiving that message, I received a different message. Again, I will quote it here only changing abbreviations. I will not use the person's name since I do not have permission. This person is Anti-M23:

    "God's conversation with Adam in Garden of Eden: "who you've been listening to?" Lies always confuse. M23 claim to represent "marginalised Congolese Tutsi." First that's a lie. Majority of Congolese Tutsi don't support M23. A good example is the Banyamulenge (Tutsi of South Kivu), they fought, as FARDC (soldiers of DRC) soldiers, against M23 in recent battles. It's true Congo is a country in crisis. M23, which is more interested in looting Eastern DRC in cahoots with Kigali [Rwanda], needs legitimate grievances, so they jump on the bandwagon of grievances to give them legitimacy, like they're fighting for a good cause. But Congolese and the whole world know it's a farce. 2) Congolese are tired of war. They prefer to solve Congo's problems by non-violent means. 3). M23 aren't Congo's best army: when they 1st attacked in Nov. they were pushed back and suffered heaviest casualties (+100 dead). Their fortunes changed when Rwandan troops crossed border to help them to the point of even taking Goma. Read UN report to confirm [This report is in other posts on this site]. Most Congolese Tutsis do not support M23 and their tactics because they view them as suicidal and defeat the purpose of what they claim to be fighting for. They claim to be fighting for Congolese refugees, but they are creating more refugees than ever before.

    ReplyDelete