Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Open Letter to the People of Rwanda

August 28, 2013

Dear Rwandan Citizens and People of the Rwandan Diaspora,

This is a letter from me, an American, to you, Rwandans - Hutu, Tutsi, and Twa.  I know as Rwandans you are a divided nation. Some of you live in your homeland while others are fearful of making a return. I know that your tribal affiliation has come to define which side you often have to choose to be on, though I also know that is not always the case.

I know that in 1994, when I was a teenager who was more concerned about getting my driver's license than what was happening in the world around me, many of you survived a horrific genocide. Maybe some of you who are reading this were not yet born, but I'm sure most, if not all of you, are in some way affected by the events of those 100 days. I also know that this genocide remains a divisive issue to this day - one which divides the Great Lakes Region of Africa with political and military instability.

Just last night before I was about to go to bed, I received a message from a Rwandan friend who told me that the Rwandan Defense Forces are preparing to send 2500 troops to the Democratic Republic of the Congo to defend the M23 Militia against the UN MONUSCO Forces, the DRC FARDC Forces, and the FDLR Militia (which may or may not be in the immediate area as reports are conflicting).  I was hurt to hear this news.

Why would I, a white American be hurt to hear about an impending war halfway around the world from me? Let me try to explain.  I am hurt to hear that there would be more war in your area because we are all Children of God. Yes, I feel the same way about war in any area, but I feel a special bond to your area. This bond is not something I can explain. I personally know only one person from the Great Lakes Region and others through social media.  But, who I know and don't know doesn't make a difference to me. You are my brothers and sisters. Even if we disagree - Even if you hate me - I consider you a brother or sister. It hurts me that the people of the DRC suffer as they do. It hurts me more that my tax dollars support that suffering. Yes, I know that my government contributes both directly and indirectly to this problem. I've petitioned members of my government, and I've been ignored.  Rwandan Friends, your government has paid more attention to me than my own.

If you've ever read any of my writings, my stance on your President, Paul Kagame, is no secret. I understand that early in his life, he had many reasons to grow up angry. As a Rwandan not allowed to enter his own homeland, I would expect anger. I would have been angry too. I in no way justify violence. But, I also can't say what I would have done. Would I have joined the RPF if I were in the same situation? I don't know. I can say that the RPF should have stopped all military action and settled with the Arusha Peace Accords.  Were they perfect? No. But, Rwanda is for all Rwandans - Just as America is for all Americans. Yes, I realize the irony that I am stating as there is so much racism and hatred in my own nation, but I fight that as well to the best of my ability.

Though he was found "innocent" by a French judge, much evidence still points to the fact that President Kagame had Former President Habyarimana murdered by ordering the shooting down of his airplane. The RPF bragged about this until they became the de facto government. Former RPF officials have confessed to this. True, President Habyarimana led a government that favored the Hutu over the Tutsi and Twa.  That is a sad fact. The Arusha Peace Accords helped this issue. By murdering Habyarimana, Kagame set off the Genocide that would kill mainly his own tribe - Tutsis.  This way, Kagame could be the "hero" who ended the Genocide.  While no Kagame supporter wants to believe this, and I understand your unwillingness to believe this, please think long and hard. If peace were an option, why would Kagame continue to be a man of war? If you believe that it was a radical Hutu group that shot down the plane, why does Kagame still continue to be a man of war? Why is war the first option on the table rather than the last resort?

I realize that what I am saying is "genocide ideology" in Rwandan Law. Let me be VERY CLEAR. I DO NOT support any sort of genocide, murder, or killing! I believe in peaceful solutions to every conflict. Yes, I am an idealist. Gandhi was an idealist. He liberated the nation of India from the most powerful empire of the time - Britain - without firing one shot.  Idealism is not weakness. Idealism is strength.

Let me also address one more issue. I read much of what President Kagame says in public addresses. President Kagame is an excellent politician. He would be a great American Politician. It doesn't surprise me that people like Former President Bill Clinton, Former President George Bush, and Former British Prime Minister Tony Blair are so supportive of him.  President Kagame has learned from the best! Sadly what he has learned is what these politicians have used - Fear as a motivator.

Compare the way that Kagame is driving Rwanda to war because of the FDLR to American and British motivation to go to war against Iraq. The American and British politicians used fear to motivate the population. "The Iraqi government was out to destroy us with their chemical weapons." "They hate our way of life." "They hate freedom." "They would destroy anything American." Let's also remember that Iraq NEVER had chemical weapons at this time. Of course the governments will claim "bad intelligence," but in all reality, this war was planned years in advance for financial gain.

Kagame is doing the same thing with the FDLR. "They want to finish the job (of the genocide)." "They won't stop (till every Tutsi is killed)." "We must annihilate them before they destroy us."  Let's remember that the RDF is a strong military and that ANY attack from the FDLR could be immediately stopped. This method of fear is only to generate public support of a non-necessary war for financial gain by exploiting the DRC.

Remember your history. Kagame did this following the genocide. While he may have been justified in attacking the genocidaires - though in all reality, he created this genocide - why were entire refugee camps massacred? Where ALL refugees genocidaires? The very elderly? Children? ALL men? ALL women? It's statistically impossible for an entire race or tribe to be completely unified in anything, much less unspeakable acts of genocidal horror. But, Kagame invaded these camps because he led by promoting fear.

My friends, do not let fear rule your lives. There are many "what ifs" that we can ask ourselves. Some of those "what if" fears may happen. Most of them will not.  I beg of you, see each other as brothers and sisters. You may come from different tribes just as I come from a different nation, but remember - We were all made by the same God. We all have made mistakes - some of us worse than others. We are all worthy of being forgiven. Yes, sometimes that means some of us may have to face punishment while being forgiven, but God demands forgiveness with justice. Finally, live your lives with the hope that the future holds!

I fully know that some of you will not agree with me. I do however hope you will read what I actually wrote and not add your own words. I do not see any of you as enemies - even those of you disagree with me. I just ask that you take what I say seriously. If you choose to laugh it off, that is your choice. You are all in my prayers for the Peace and Prosperity of your nation, your people, and your region!

In God's Love,
Tom

9 comments:

  1. I can't believe you're saying that Kagame would have "murdered" his own people...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have not read or heard that he did? Major Dr. Rudasingwa said it. Generals Kayumba and Kariegeya said it. Abdul Ruzibiza revealed it before Kagame poisoned him like he did almost all of the young Tutsis who followed him and believed in him and shot down Habyarimana's plane for him. Yet he slaughtered all of them so that NO ONE lives to tell the story... How some of the young Tutsis turned their own weapons on themselves because they were prevented from saving the Tutsis who had been living in Rwanda and because Kagame told them that there were NO Tutsis in Rwanda... Finally, the investigators during the Genocide tribunals revealed it, except that Bill Clinton ordered that the evidence not be published... But, now, it all coming out... Kagame's denials are becoming like a woman whose blotted out pregnancy of 9 moths is seen by everybody yet she keeps denying that she is pregnant... Are you waiting for God to come down and ask you to see all these revelations about Kagame being an African Hitler???

      Delete
    2. Thank you for the names and documentation. In the spirit of discussion, I generally ask that people not remain anonymous, but I see that because of what you are saying that you may be doing so for your own safety. The question I pose to both of you - Whether we are pro or anti Kagame, eventually, he will not be the leader - all human leadership comes to an end. That is not a call for his destruction, but a mere fact. He may rule 50 more years or 5 more minutes. Human life is unpredictable. How can we peacefully move on and avoid even more bloodshed? I would assume that both of you would see war as the absolute last resort.

      Delete
  2. I can't believe that I have to say it. I'm merely repeating what has been said by those much closer to the situation than I. But, we all know that world leaders have done such things since the beginning of organized leadership.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tom,
    What a great piece! Kagame understands only one language: murder, murder, and murder! His regime has terrorized the whole region and its opponents everywhere! For the last two decades fear has been the normal way of life under Kagame's tyrannical rules. The fear is our only enemy,but once we will overcome it Kagame will be defeated. Thanks Tom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks to you for giving extra ordinary information.
    Erbil companies

    ReplyDelete
  5. As an update - Credible sources inside of Rwanda have told me that as of last night (8/28) Rwandan officers were inside of the DRC advising M23 militia members, and today (8/29) "many" Rwandan troops crossed the border: Their reason - to fight the FDLR. Why? Because M23 (NOT FDLR) has been shelling Rwandan soil from the DRC. In other words, the Kagame regime is ordering the M23 minions to shell its own territory so that they can invade the DRC. His motivation? Murder, Greed, Control, and the very fact that the West who empowers him will not stop him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. In this piece you are trying to use a wise and respectfull tone, but the whole content is made of hatred against Kagame and the new rwanda born from ashes he has built with his people. I don't know where you get all these facts against kagame, but i can guess that you have focused all your research about rwanda, from people motivated by jealousy or personal interest in enjoying to darken the image of kagame and the rwandan people. my last message to you sir is that YOU ARE DEAD WRONG and it is a pity. Kagame is a great leader and most of the rwandans are proud of him

    ReplyDelete
  7. I respectfully disagree on some points. Obviously this is anti-Kagame. I do not hate Kagame if you define hatred as in I hope something bad happens to him. I don't wish him any harm. The facts come from multiple sources. Among them (but not all) are the UN Mapping Report, GOE Reports, Testimony from former RPF members, and HRW and Amnesty International.

    Possibly some of that information is from those who are jealous, but other information is not. For example, what interest does the UN have in the success or failure of a particular leader?

    My goal is NEVER to darken the image of the Rwandan people. Governments do not equal people. I have issues with my own US Government that I do not want associated with me. I am not responsible for their decisions as Rwandans are not responsible for Kagame's decisions. Has Kagame done good things? Yes. I'm calling to question the human rights issues and violations into the DRC. The same can (and should) be done with the US Government. There is a sizable amount of people doing that work though, and that is why I don't use this space for that issue as much. I address my Government in other ways.

    ReplyDelete