Saturday, March 5, 2011

Are we Cheapening Church?

I've been to so many churches that I could be considered a "religion salad."  I've been Catholic, Baptist, and now Methodist.  During college I went to a non-denominational church as well as a pentecostal church.  I've even worshipped and preached in an African Church (here in America, but the congregation is mainly African immigrants).  I've also worshiped in a Catholic church that was all in Spanish (it was on the Mexican border).  All of these have formed my faith one way or another, and all have been good experiences.

Only one church experience was not good.  I once attended a church that had an amazing marketing plan, comfortable seats, a lot of leg room, no hymnals you had to thumb your way through, and no dress code.  The church also had a coffee shop (and I love my coffee!), and a book store.  There were about 2,000 people there.  All songs (all contemporary songs) were on PowerPoint as were the Bible readings.  The message was good, and quite honestly I liked the music.  But still, something wasn't right.

It took me a while before I could put my finger on what was wrong.  While I in no way am questioning the faith of the people leading the service, I question some of those attending.  Again, I'm not saying that the congregation didn't have faith...that's not my call.  I can't know what's in a person's heart.

I had trouble with the "non-personal" nature of the church.  I was a number.  No one even knew I was a visitor.  I wasn't welcomed, No one shook my hand, and honestly, what I got was a show.  Yes, there was worship (if the heart was into it), but I wonder if someone off the street who had no knowledge of Jesus and the Gospel would find him there.

In the March 8, 2011 issue of The Christian Century, John M. Buchanan wrote an article called "Living Traditions."  In there, he quotes Eugene Peterson, author of The Jesus Way in saying that we in America (and I would suggest other wealthy, mostly Western nations) have developed "consumer congregations."  Our worship in churches such as I described are based on "entertainment, satisfaction, action, adventure, problem solving, whatever."  He concludes saying, "This is not the way God brings us into conformity with the life of Jesus."

I have to say I agree.  Jesus is not a product to be sold, and especially not to be cheapened by sound bites, catchy tunes, or "59 Steps to Be a Better You."  Before you hate me (if you don't already hate me), There is room for modern music (even our traditional hymns were new at one point).  There is room for entertainment (If we are created in God's image and we like entertainment, then God approves of it to some degree).  There is even room for non-traditional worship styles.

But, the Gospel MUST NOT be cheapened.  It's fine to bring people in the door (that's the justification people of these types of churches give:  it gets people who would never enter a church to come to church).  In fact, every church should work to bring people in the doors, but we MUST NOT water down the Gospel (both the commands and the promises).  Our goal is to make disciples, not to merely entertain!

No comments:

Post a Comment