Sunday, October 2, 2011

Have and Have Not

"I have three things I'd like to say today. First, while you were sleeping last night, 30,000 kids died of starvation or diseases related to malnutrition. Second, most of you don't give a shit. What's worse is that you're more upset with the fact that I said shit than the fact that 30,000 kids died last night." - Tony Campolo


As of September, 2011, 750,000 people in Somalia are on the brink of starvation and 4 million people desperately need aid. Click Here for an article explaining this situation.


What does the Church do in this situation?  What does this situation say about the Church ?


NOTE:  For the remainder of this post, "Church" (with a capital "C") will mean all Christian believers regardless of denomination or geographical location.


Sunday Morning:  I woke up this morning.  I slept soundly, and I was even fortunate enough to get to sleep a little later than usual.  I got out of bed (a very comfortable bed, by the way), went out into the living room, gave my wife and kids a hug and kiss, and then I poured myself a large mug of coffee.  I sat down, thought of the plans for the day, stressed out a little, watched some TV, and then decided I was hungry for breakfast.  I chose a bowl of cereal, though I could have also chosen oatmeal, a bagel, bacon and eggs, toast with peanut butter, jelly, or butter.  I could have eaten one of the several varieties of granola bars that are in our pantry.  But, I chose cereal.  I put milk in it too.  It was good!


I then got ready for the day...I dressed, shaved, brushed my teeth.  Then, I walked across the street to church.  I'm the pastor...I do that on Sundays.  When I got there, I poured myself another cup of coffee.  I decided against having one of the danishes that were there...but I had the option.  They looked great!  I just wasn't hungry.


As Sunday School began, I went to my church office to do final preparations on my sermon, and I prayed that God would keep me focused on the message I was to deliver.  At 11 AM, I went into the church sanctuary and led the worship service.  Everyone in my congregation drove to church.  Everyone had breakfast, just like I did...or if they didn't, it was by choice.  After some hymns, announcements, and a children's sermon on the 10 Commandments, I delivered the main sermon.  The point of the sermon was to challenge the congregation (and myself) to be a counterculture to the world.  As the Church, we should look different, act different, and be different from the world.  We should be the light for the world and not let the world determine our worth or actions.  We should be in genuine compassionate ministry to all the world.


After church, I shook hands of my congregation members, ran a meeting, and then came home to eat lunch.  I had a peanut butter and banana sandwich.  I love them!  I then went back to church with my family for our annual Youth Fun Day.  At 5 PM, we all at pizza from Pizza Hut.  


That Same Sunday: Someone from Somalia was on a 25 day walk to get to Kenya where they hope to find something to eat.  This person lost one of her children, her husband, one of her parents, or siblings.  This person had to leave home, friends, family, and all he knew to walk 25 days to find food.  At that same time, one of those walkers from Somalia to Kenya dropped to her hands and knees from exhaustion and starvation.  Her family wanted to help her, but she told them to go on.  They all knew it was over...at least for her. A father and a husband who promised his family a better life didn't have the strength to stand after taking a short rest.  He told his family to go on ahead of him...he'd catch up later.  They all knew he wouldn't catch up.  They all knew he wouldn't ever stand up again.  But they pretended that they believed he would catch up, and they walked on.  


Some of the people who have already made this three week walk were sitting in a refugee camp at the same time.  One person couldn't sleep last night.  She suffered so much loss that even though she lived, she feels she would be better off dead.  Another person searched the camp for a family member.  He knew he'd never find his loved one, but he looked none the less.  Some of the refugees went to a feeding center in the camp.  They got a tasteless gruel which they ate as if it were a gourmet meal.  Others took the food they received and hid some of it.  Would there be food tomorrow?


In another nation, a rich nation, a child was upset because he wanted chicken nuggets and not spaghetti.  He refused to eat.  The family put the left-overs in the refrigerator, but it all won't be eaten.  Mom will take some for lunch tomorrow, but the majority will be thrown away.  A grocery store threw out tons of food in the past week because it was past its prime.  It wasn't rotten, it just wasn't as good as customers demanded.


What does the Church do in this situation?  What does this situation say about the Church?

No comments:

Post a Comment