Tuesday, October 25, 2011

The "Occupy" Movement

I get it.  I really do.  I understand the frustration.  I understand the concerns.  I empathize.  I sympathize.  I even agree with most of what is being said and most of what is being done.

Social activism can be a great thing.  It can bring about real change.  Our nation would not be a nation if it were not for some social activists who protested and rebelled against the king.

Voices need to be heard.  Faces need to be seen.  Worries need to be vented.  People must be held accountable.

It's obvious that there is a major economic disparity in this nation (and all nations for that matter).  Whether or not it is justified is a matter for debate.  From a Biblical perspective, those who "have" owe a debt of care to those who "don't have."  We are commanded to take care of the poor, the widows, the orphans, the hungry, the tired, and so forth.  The strong are NOT to victimize, take advantage of, exploit, abuse, etc. the weak.

When the Strong in some way abuses the Weak, it is the duty of all People of Faith to hold the abusers accountable for their abuses.  Though I rarely address those of a different faith or of no faith, I would argue that it is the duty that in a "government for the people, by the people, and of the people," we as American Citizens are compelled to call out injustice where we see it and work to make it right.

That leads us to the "Occupy Wall Street" movement.  While I wouldn't demonize all big business, there is sufficient blame within "Wall Street" for the state of the economy of our nation and the economy of the world.  While people should be proactive (when possible) to take care of themselves, more often than not, that includes working for "Wall Street." Of course there are exceptions of those who have risen out of desperate situations due to their own ideals, fortitude, and most importantly (whether they know it or not), the Grace of God

The problem, however, is not "Wall Street."  The problem is much larger that "Wall Street."  The problem is the Greed, Exploiting of the weak, Cheating, and Lying of "Wall Street."  Some are guilty, some are not.  The forces driving the immoral to act immorally are what we should be fighting...in our own lives first, and then in the lives of those in power.

Is there a better system?  I don't know.  But, I do know that the current system CAN be reformed if "we the people" hold our government leaders, company leaders, and ourselves accountable.  We may not bring about the "perfect world," but we can bring meaningful change.

Having said all that, I want to address the "Occupy Wall Street" movement.  Many call the protesters "lazy," "worthless," "bums," and other names.  In some cases, I'm sure these labels, while not Godly (since, after all, each person is of infinite worth to the creator), may be accurate in terms of description alone.  But in most cases, this group includes regular, hard working people who want a job with decent benefits and the ability to care for their family and loved ones.  They believe that while CEO's probably should make more money than the average worker, the average worker is still a person of infinite worth.  The average worker deserves to be treated fairly.

The people who are Occupying the Real Wall Street are not perfect.  Every one of them (and anyone reading this) is most likely carrying a cell phone (made by "Wall Street"), wearing clothes (made by "Wall Street"), drive a car (made by "Wall Street"), and own other seemingly contradictory items.  Sadly, we cannot totally escape supporting the same system that exploits children into slave labor in Third World Countries.  We cannot totally escape shopping from stores that buy from suppliers who have immoral procedures.  We are often forced to buy items (of necessity or convenience) that were produced by exploitative means.  Unless we form self-sustaining farms (or dare I use the term "communes"), we cannot be totally innocent...even if we have the best of intentions.

Abraham Joshua Heschel, a Hassidic Rabbi who was active in the Civil Rights movement, said many times that "Some are guilty, all are responsible."  Most often he was speaking of the Holocaust, the genocide that he narrowly escaped by coming to America just before the beginning of the Holocaust.

In this way, he is right.  We are not all guilty of corporate greed, exploitation of the weak, and unethical business practices.  The average person did not cause the major recession and joblessness attacking the world.  But, we have all supported this greed.  We buy from those companies, we live lives of relative comfort (when compared to other nations).

The Occupy Wall Street Movement, I believe is for the most part well intentioned.  It takes faces and voices directly to the place where these exploitative practices happen.  It forces "Wall Street" to see the face of the average citizen.  Whether you agree or not with what they stand for, no one can say that the protestors are in the wrong place.

What does concern me is the "Occupy" movement going on around the nation.  Again, I believe these people are well intentioned and have the welfare of all of humanity at heart.  But, I fear they are not answering the call of the Gospel.

Yesterday, walking on Duke's Campus, I saw an "Occupy Duke" event going on right outside of our large Chapel.  In principle, I can't argue with these people.  But, in practice I can.  For those unaware, Duke is a university made up of privileged students.  With tuition so expensive, one either has to be wealthy or have a healthy scholarship to attend.  I will admit that many students of middle to lower economic classes can attend Duke because of the generous scholarships available.  I will not hide the fact that I attend Duke on scholarship.

Still, the "Occupy Duke" movement, while well intentioned, projects a very different image.  As I walked by, I was glad to see students exercising their rights and voicing their opinions.  But, then I saw something that disturbed me and made me question this particular movement.  Sitting outside of a very expensive tent was a student using his laptop computer.  Obviously these students still have class obligations, but the image projected does not take that into consideration.

I think, at least in this case, there is a better way.  Instead of occupying a courtyard of a privileged university, why not "Occupy a Shelter?"  Why not stand in solidarity with our less fortunate brothers and sisters?  Why not stand in solidarity in actuality rather than figuratively?  Why not "Occupy a Housing Project," or the "other side of the tracks?"

Again, I get it.  I understand the argument.  I understand the intentions.  It is the image I question.  Wall Street is appropriate - That's where decisions affecting all of us originate.  The other cities of the nation, I'm not so sure.  A university made of privileged students - while noble, is not the place to project.  The privileged must join the less privileged if they are truly in solidarity.

No comments:

Post a Comment