Friday, November 18, 2011

Some Questions for the "Occupy Movement"

Let me begin by saying I think I support a lot of what the Occupy Movement is trying to accomplish.  I say "I think," because there is not one coherent message but rather a myriad of messages being sent by the protestors (To be fair, that is their goal - as I heard on an interview on NPR, the protestors want a wide range of issues to be discussed).  I'm not sure if I support HOW the Occupy Movement is trying to accomplish their goals.  I have some questions.  I'd like answers.  Please, feel free to share your answers to my questions or to pose questions of your own.  Here are my questions:

1.  It's obvious that corporate greed has gone viral.  It's obvious that there is exploitation of the "weak" so that the "strong" can gain more power.  While it is human nature to lash out in these situations, what can we do to bring reconciliation?  Rather than resorting to the tactics of "the powers," can we find a new way that would bring solidarity and mutual respect?  (Yes, I'm an Idealist...and a Christian - and I don't see separation between the 2).

2.  How will the 99% know when the struggle is over?  Do we wait for corporate executives to step down?  Do we wait for more fair labor laws?  What is the signal that the struggle is over...or at least that it's ready to enter another phase?

3.  I understand the "Occupy Wall Street" movement.  On Wall Street, they are protesting in the very place the decisions of greed and corruption are being made.  I don't understand occupying other cities and towns.  In stead of occupying part of a city/town/campus, could we occupy the poor neighborhoods that are ripe with gang activity, drug activity, and other self-medication/survival techniques?  Instead of staying separated from the masses, can we bring the masses together in a show of solidarity and brotherly and sisterly love?  Can we reach out to the forgotten in a tangible way?  I realize that is the goal, but in the midst, I fear the faces and names of the truly suffering have been forgotten.  Can we go into poor neighborhoods and help them to reclaim their neighborhoods from the evils that envelop them?  Dare I ask this???? Can we even consider living among the poor? Befriending them? Loving them?

4.  I know all of the protestors do not share in the Christian Faith.  I'm sure there are various faiths represented and even people of no religious faith.  But, as a Christian, I would feel a little better about this movement if we brought Jesus into the picture.  I've seen hints of this, but only hints.  Can other faiths bring their Deity into the picture (I DO NOT mean that term, "Deity," to be disrespectful - but rather, it is just a simple term to encompass all religious faiths).  Are the 99% just vying for power? or are the 99% struggling for equality?  There is a difference.  If the 99% enslave the 1%, then nothing has been solved...only, the roles have been reversed.

5.  I understand the movement wants a lot of issues to be discussed, not just 1.  But, can there be some sort of unified statement?  What do you want accomplished?  Why do you want it accomplished?

While there is (justified) anger, we also need to remember that we are called to forgive.  Forgiveness DOES NOT mean that we overlook injustice.  Forgiveness DOES NOT mean that we allow exploiters to walk away without punishment.  Forgiveness DOES mean that we see the humanity in the oppressor.  Forgiveness DOES mean that although the oppressor may need punishment (fines, jail time, boycotts, etc.), we do those things not out of revenge but out of love.  Yes, we can punish in love.  It's possible...and it's what Jesus expects of us.  Forgiveness DOES mean that we can allow the sins of the past to not determine our future.  We don't forget...that is impossible in most cases...but we do forgive.  A rabbi (and I don't remember which rabbi this was) said of forgiveness (and I'm paraphrasing): Forgiveness does not mean that we forget, but it means that we can continue the rest of our lives without feeling like the past has to be un-done.

Can this movement lead to a Better World...not just one with the roles reversed???

No comments:

Post a Comment