Sunday, January 19, 2014

To Be A Dog

After the "mysterious" brutal murder of defected former Rwandan Spy Chief Patrick Karegeya, many questioned the Government of Rwanda's role in his murder.

Rwandan Minister of Defense James Kabarebe, without confirming nor denying the Government's role in this murder only replied that if "you choose to live like a dog, you die like a dog."

Apparently to Gen. Kabarebe, being a dog is a bad thing. This statement got me thinking about my life with dogs. I've had at least one dog at a time, sometimes more, since I was a small child. I became sentimental

[Any references you can make in what follows to any matters pertaining to Rwanda, the Government of Rwanda, President Kagame, General Kabarebe, or any other person or situation related to Rwanda is PURELY COINCIDENTAL!]

I could talk about all of my dogs, but I'll just speak of one dog - Maggie.  Maggie was the first dog I had that was purely mine.  Now, because of circumstances that were beyond my control, Maggie lives a with my parents in her old age. I miss her.

My Dog - Maggie
Maggie taught me about honesty. Dogs are honest in general. I learned this from Maggie! Maggie didn't lie. If Maggie wanted to play, she let me know. If Maggie wanted to sleep, she slept. If Maggie was scared of the thunder, she hid.  Maggie, like all dogs, doesn't lie. Maggie even told the truth to me. If I didn't pay enough attention to her, she would let me know in her own ways. She would follow me around the house to the point of annoyance. If I still didn't pay enough attention to her, she would force me to pay attention by pooping on the floor. And yes, she was well trained! It was telling the truth that I, her master, had not lived up to my end of the bargain.  Dogs don't lie!

I also learned that no matter what, there is no way to quiet dogs. If dogs have something to say, they WILL be heard. Maggie loved to spend time outside. Ok, she has her quirks - she is a lab - a water dog, but she was scared of rain...don't ask.  But, when it was nice out, Maggie liked to be outside. Whenever Maggie felt she needed to be heard, she would bark. Her bark would be passed around the city neighborhood by all the other dogs that were outside. Even if Maggie stopped barking, "THE BARK" could not be silenced! Dogs can't be silenced.  I would bring Maggie inside if she barked too much, but the other dogs in the neighborhood would continue barking. Even if you eliminate one dog from the mix, the dogs will still keep barking!

Dogs defend what is right! Maggie knew that I loved her, and she would defend me if it came down to it. Whenever I got sick, Maggie could sense it and she would sit by my chair or couch or bed until I felt better. She protected me. I only once saw her show her teeth and growl - it was to defend me against what she thought was a threat. Dogs protect what is right! They protect their pack! If they are betrayed by their human pack, they will protect the new human pack that takes them in!

Wow, it seems that I've learned a lot from Maggie. I wonder if it's really an insult to be called a "dog?"


No comments:

Post a Comment