Friday, July 3, 2015

The Middle of the Road



Come join me for a walk in the middle of the road. I promise it's not what you think. Contrary to people say, you do have to make decisions. 

When you're walking in the middle of the road, people are angry with you. "You're not on our side!" Well, that's the point. I see cars on the Left side that are good. I see cars on the Right side that are good. I also see cars on both sides that are bad. When I'm in the middle of the road, I can see both sides. I can choose.

It's dangerous to be in the middle of the road. There are traffic jams on either side that often get out of control. Have you ever been in a traffic jam? People get angry when they are in a traffic jam. They get angry because the other side seems to be moving. It's as if there's a small war on the road. People walking in the middle of the road aren't safe. You have to be careful. You have to watch your step. You have to watch your surroundings. 

Sometimes, a car from either the Right or the Left will offer you a ride. When you've walked a long time, a ride is a tempting offer. There's nothing wrong with taking a ride if the ride is the right one to take. When you're walking in the middle of the road, you have to decide. Is it better to keep walking or is it better to accept the ride? Sometimes you can change your mind - you can get out of the car and begin walking again. Sometimes you can't change your mind. People who walk in the middle of the road have to make hard decisions. 

When I walk in the middle of the road, one of my greatest wishes is that the cars on both sides would just respect the rules of the road. I wish that somehow the road would be a place of harmony. Some cars go one way; some cars go another way. Sometimes that's how it works. Usually, the road is a place of competition. The drivers want you to go their way. Their way is the only correct way...or so they say. 

The middle of the road can be scary because it can be lonely. Cars travel in packs of traffic. It makes the drivers feel safe. People in the middle of the road walk alone. 

I invite you to join me in my walk in the middle of the road. We can get in a car from time to time. We can direct traffic when the drivers can't seem to figure out the rules of the road. We can see the good cars and we can see the bad cars. Will you join me in the middle of the road? 


No comments:

Post a Comment