Friday, December 16, 2011

Christopher Hitchens 1949-2011

I saw on TV today and read that Christopher Hitchens has died of cancer.  I have not read more than a few statements he's made, and I've seen him in a few interviews, but I know of the work he has done.  His work is basically to undo the work I do.  While some try to bring people to faith, others, like Hitchens, try to bring people away from faith.

You would probably think that I'm glad a person like this is dead.  I have to confess for a few seconds my mind did take that route.  But, then I realized the purpose of my faith and realized that despite his actions and despite his claimed belief (or non-belief as it may be), I hope that God will show him mercy.

Hitchens doesn't deserve mercy.  He's attacked every organized religion known to man either directly or indirectly.  He's attacked many religious leaders including Mother Theresa (Who could attack Mother Theresa???).  He is probably responsible for thousands, if not more, abandoning or choosing not to accept faith.

Again, let me say it:  Hitchens doesn't deserve mercy.  But, neither do I.  And I would guess...no...actually I'm certain...you don't deserve mercy either.  No one deserves mercy.  Or, better phrased, no one earns mercy.  If God is as great as Christians claim (despite the fact that Hitchens wrote God is Not Great), then any tarnish we have on our being makes us unworthy of mercy.  And, being human, there is not one of us who hasn't sinned.  Sure, some sins are bigger than others.  Some sins hurt others while others hurt only ourselves or are even seemingly victimless, but they're sins none the less.

Hitchens doesn't deserve mercy - he hasn't earned mercy - Neither have I.  He has mocked God in his writing and lecturing (not just the Christian God, but any religion that worships any God).  I have mocked God too.  I have been selfish when others needed help.  I've ignored God through not praying, not worshipping, and not loving others.  I've been blessed to have a comfortable life.  I really don't lack anything I need...But I don't always thank God for that.  In fact, I seem to always ask God for more (as if God is some Cosmic Super-Wal-Mart).  I know Jesus as Savior, but I don't always act like it.  I don't always "let my light shine" so others can see it.  Heck, sometimes I completely and knowingly hide "my light."  I don't always represent Christ as his ambassador on earth.  And when I do represent Christ, it is often flawed and only a half-attempt.  I often put my own desires ahead of others' needs.  And sometimes, when I do what God asks of me, I do it begrudgingly with a bad attitude.

By reading this, you'd think Hitchens and I are one in the same (except I believe in God - though I don't always act like I do).  And, maybe that's the point.  Maybe we are one in the same.

The difference between us is simple, though.  I believe in a God who sent his Son to atone for our sins.  I don't always understand it.  I don't know exactly how this atonement works (despite the great examples I cited on my Theology Final - any understanding of "how Christ works" is purely theoretical).  All I know is that atonement does work.  Forgiveness from God does happen.  Despite my sins, God still loves me and guides me and calls me.

I also believe that somewhere (and probably for his whole life), God called Hitchens.  From all human perspectives, Hitchens "hung up" on God.  He said he was not an atheist...he was an anti-theist.  Not only did he not believe in God, but he tried to destroy the concept of God.

By all human perspectives, we can guess that Hitchens' soul will be separated from God forever.  He deserves that...but so do I.  Then I remember the Christian Hope.  That God will redeem all people.  No, I'm not a Universalist - I believe every person has a choice between God and No God.  I believe every person has the chance to decide his or her own fate.  Simply put, every person will have the opportunity to choose Heaven or Hell.  From what I know, I think Hitchens chose Hell.  But I hope that somehow, God got to him - in his last few moments - and changed his mind.  I hope that despite wasting his life to discredit God, in some way, God got to Hitchens and convinced him to choose God.

Hitchens had talents given to him by the Creator.  Hitchens heard the Gospel Message of Redemption.  By all signs, he rejected it.  By all signs, he didn't use his God given talents for God, but rather to mock God.  But still, until I face the Lord on judgement day, I won't know if Hitchens was somehow forgiven.  I can't know if he made a "deathbed conversion," or even if God showed him Divine Mercy despite all he's done.  That knowledge is not for me to know.

As Jesus said - Before you take the dust out of someone else's eye, get the plank out of your own.  I have enough of my own Christian life to fix before I can pass judgement on someone.  Even someone so easy to pass judgement upon - like Hitchens.

All I can know is that God will be fair in judging him.  And I know God will be fair in judging me.  I can know that through faith in Christ, I am saved.  I can have near certainty of what my verdict will be before the great Judge.  But, I'm not one of God's prosecutors.  I don't have access to the evidence in other cases.  All I can do is hope, for Hitchens' sake, that God was able to turn his heart before it was too late.

No comments:

Post a Comment