Thursday, November 7, 2013

Why? - An Answer

A person I respect made the following statement via Twitter, and I feel I owe this person response.  Here is his statement (edited only so that it can have full words and be in more than 140 characters): "It's astonishing how certain people get exercised about Rwanda, but you never hear a peep out of them about any other African country."

Any reader of my blog realizes that I am one of those voices, and I will offer my explanation. I can only speak for myself. Others may have their own reasons, and I cannot answer for them. So, please know that these responses are my own and only my own.

1. I cannot stay contained to US or Regional issues only. I have a strong believe that as we are all created by God, we are all connected. I do not believe in regional issues. What happens in one area affects the totality of humanity.
a. Why? I have a strong Theology of the Incarnation - That means that the coming of Jesus Christ means the fulfillment of humanity. Christ made us fully human. By God coming as an embodied person, all human barriers that we put between ourselves are null and void. Galatians 3:28:  There is no longer Jew or Greek, there is no longer slave or free, there is no longer male and female; for all of you are one in Christ Jesus.

2. Though many accuse me of only being involved in Rwandan issues, they only know me via this medium. I am involved in many issues in different mediums. This involvement happens to be the one that is most public. That is so because it is currently impossible for many reasons for me to be physically present in Rwanda. Writing is my only voice.

3. Why Rwanda and not any other African Country? - That is only partially true for me. Rwanda gets the majority of my attention, however this is not where all of my attention resides. 

4. I became involved quite unwillingly. President Kagame was scheduled to be a speaker at a Quaker University Graduation in the US. I knew some of his biography and alleged warcrimes. I did some research and was overwhelmed by the official UN Documentation that I found. I wrote a letter to the university asking them to reconsider having President Kagame as their speaker. For those unfamiliar with Quakerism, it is a Christian "peace" denomination - meaning the majority of Quakers oppose war and violence under all circumstances. This is a general statement to which there are many interpretations.
     a. Had my letter been received and acknowledged, I most likely would have stopped and not become anymore involved.  Within a day, my e mail inbox was flooded with threats of bodily harm and other threats from people claiming to be in the US from Rwanda and huge overreaction for just suggesting that this university should reconsider having President Kagame as its speaker.
    b. This overreaction was a sign to me that there is more to the situation than I knew. Why would I be threatened? I made a simple statement. I could have received a reply that my letter was received and then the university could have gone on with their plans or chosen to reevaluate. How did Rwandans (or people claiming to be Rwandans) receive my e mail? Why didn't they just point out that I was wrong (if I was wrong)? Why did they immediately threaten me?

5. This engagement showed me that I needed to do more research. I read many official documents including the UN Mapping Report of the DRC, Reports from Human Rights Watch, and Amnesty International among many other books and studies. I read the GOE Report that Rwanda was sponsoring M23 in the DRC. I saw the proof.

6. I saw President Kagame's denials - written and in interviews - but each time, they were anger filled rather than explanations. I understand that when one is falsely accused one can become angry, but when one is a national leader, that person does not have that luxury. His anger made me think he was hiding something. The evidence was too convincing. 

7. When engaging in discussions, I have been constantly attacked. The other party (if Rwandan) would not have a discussion. He/She wanted to jump to ad hominem attacks. This can be seen in the "journalistic" (I use that term VERY loosely) trash The Exposer. Though it claims to be a newspaper, it only engages in personal attacks on a person's character and makes up trashy stories. Why would a reputable regime need to do that? (And yes, I know of the relationship between the owner of The Exposer and Pres. Kagame's wife - NOT a scandalous relationship to be clear).

8. President Kagame has been responsible for the deaths of millions of Rwandan refugees and Congolese people in his pursuit of the interahamwe after the 94 Genocide. Such a big deal may not have been made if attacks were made against legitimate military targets, but attacks were made against entire refugee camps. It is true that there were most likely armed enemies there, but everyone was not the enemy. President Kagame has caused many people to disappear or be arrested illegally. As I said before, Rwanda is not unique to this, but this space is where I engage Rwanda. I use other outlets to engage other nations including my own.

9. While the DRC does have governmental problems, Rwanda sparked the 2 Congo Wars. These wars killed millions of innocent people. 

10. Why not other African Countries? - Mostly because at the present moment, Rwanda is the one that is causing the most bloodshed and is being supported by my tax dollars. Again this is not fully true. I do and have engaged other issues in other nations. This space is where I engage this issue. 

----------------------------

That said, I hold no resentment for the people of Rwanda. I pray that Rwanda has a good future! 

I also acknowledge and condemn the sufferings my own nation has caused on Rwanda. 

I cannot blame everything on President Kagame. He too was once a refugee undergoing a sad injustice. He was once not allowed to enter his own homeland. The cycle of violence and exclusion must stop. Someone must say that enough is enough. The needs of the people in all nations cannot be put aside for victory of the politicians. Eventually to stop a powder keg from exploding, someone must take the words of Abraham Lincoln which I will loosely quote - "The best way to destroy your enemy is to make them your friend."

No comments:

Post a Comment